Friday, February 25, 2011

The More I Know

The More I know

the more I grow
the less I
know the nature
of simple things

peace does not quell
the unquiet heart
that finds small reason
to stop and fail

and yet I see
what is to be
in measured turn
couched in mystery

grateful to be given
one more day
to move and make
in my separate way

what I lay store by
is a calm nest
and a comfortable
place to rest

what is to be does
not concern me nor
do I make false claim
for what cannot be

I make my way
in measured stride
awkward fearful and shy
watching each step fall aside

unsure as the first
now with none to catch
the faltering course
that late I set

in earnest stride
onward and upward
toward the crest
that remote was met

bearing witness
to those who fell
short of a mark
that haunts us well

I hold no promise
for what may be
of what once was
in great abundancy

of dreams that fell
in endless cascades
on death of promise
and work undone

no place for dreamers
in a land of schemers
with clansmen and club men
to abide fool’s company

David Sermersheim

No comments:

Post a Comment